The SPACE programme is mainly for parents with newborn babies. Sessions are held over 40 weeks in a relaxed, baby-friendly atmosphere.
Weekly sessions include:
- The opportunity to meet and get to know other new parents
- Discussions and information sharing on relevant child development and parenting topics
- Opportunities for babies to interact and explore play through a range of experiences
- Music, rhymes, and books for babies
- Ideas for home made resources
Our qualified facilitators along with other professionals share their collective knowledge and experience with the group. Furthermore, we encourage parents to use the SPACE programme as a forum to share their own parenting experiences.
Discussion topics are introduced each week that are relevant to parenting and to your baby’s growth and learning. These may include:
- Understanding Me/Mōhio ahau
- Becoming a parent/Whakamātuatanga
- Establishing attachment/Whakapūmau whakamau
- What do I see?/Ka kite ahau I te aha?
- See me move/Ka kite ki tāku neke haere
- Understanding thinking/Ngākau
- The beauty of the brain/Te ātaahua o te roro
- Expressing myself/Whakapuaki ahau
- Reflective parenting/Mātuatanga whai whakaaro
- Heuristic play/Āhuatanga tākaro